Provides a variety of complex and technical legal document preparation and other support to trial teams, which are often confidential and may include the use of problem-solving skills and independent decision-making Prepares files and materials for use in court appearances. Provides limited supervision to interns. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Working within critical deadlines, word processes a variety of legal documents, which may include pleadings, motions, orders, warrants, petitions, subpoenas, witness lists, jury instructions, voir dire questions, verdict forms, reports, general correspondence and other materials from drafts, notes, verbal instructions, prior documents.
- Responsible for maintaining client files, including files indexing and document management.
- Proofreads and edits drafts and completed materials for format, accuracy, grammar, spelling, punctuation, English usage and consistency.
- Performs a variety of general office support work on a relief or as-needed basis, including maintaining maintaining accurate records and files and providing coverage for other assignments.
- Uses a variety of office equipment such as computer terminals, printers, scanners, and copy reproduction and FAX equipment such as standard office software such as word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Provides a variety of support to attorneys, tracking and ensuring that all documents have been prepared and processed and appropriate action taken in a timely manner; prepares periodic spreadsheets to track status of cases.
- Assists with compilation of statistical data.
- Assists teams with power point presentations for plea and/or trial purposes.
- Coordinates the scheduling of appointments with District Attorney offices, jails, and experts.
- Responsible for arranging travel and preparing reimbursement forms for office.
- Preparation in team meetings, strategy sessions.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the individual the ability to be professional in the essential duties listed. Must be able to type 50 words per minute. At least two years of experience in processing legal documents in a court, criminal justice or legal office setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of legal office and criminal justice system terminology, forms, documents and procedures;
- knowledge of the standard format for a variety of legal documents and forms, including briefs, motions, opinions, subpoenas and warrants;
- knowledge of the use of specified computer applications involving word processing, spreadsheets and standard report generation;
- knowledge of standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment;
- knowledge of record keeping principles and practices; knowledge of correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- general knowledge of the organizational, procedural and human aspects in supervising within an organization.
- Skill in independently preparing a variety of legal documents and forms;
- skill in editing and reviewing for accuracy, format and correct English usage technical and complex legal and court documents;
- skill in using applicable legal office terminology, forms, documents and procedures in the course of the work; skill in performing detailed legal office support work;
- skill in composing correspondence or documents independently or from brief instructions.
- Ability to be flexible and able to competently perform in a variety of assignment areas;
- ability to use sound independent judgment in following and applying appropriate laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures; ability to maintaining accurate legal office files;
- ability to organize one’s own work, set priorities, work in a high volume setting and meet critical deadlines;
- ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
Physical requirements include lifting/carrying 25 lbs. occasionally; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, walking, reaching and handling to perform the essential functions. Must possess a valid driver’s license, liability insurance as required by law and be able to safely operate a vehicle in furtherance of job requirements.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com